Jan 6, 2014
Dear Family and
Friends,
Happy New Year!!!! I
am celebrating New Year´s with ALL new things--a new area, a new companion
(Hermana Rivas, from Nicaragua. she´s a gem. Love her already), and a new batch
of hermanas...and I am LOVIN´ it. Down here we celebrated new years Chilean
style (except I didn’t stay up until twelve at night) but we hot roasted lamb
and a lovely dinner at one of the member´s house. But then, on the second, on
Thursday..duh duh duh..CAMBIOS! So we got up extremely early in the morning and
headed down to Osorno, and we were there in the bus terminal ALL all all day
because we had to make sure that all of the hermanas headed out to the correct
place and those that came in from far away (in plane...) but since everyone and
their mom passes through the terminal, it was a really special, because I got
to see a TON of people and took a trip down memory lane. For example, Hermana
Centurion (my trainer)..I´ve forgotten just how beautiful her Spanish is...and
(surprise everyone...) ZACH! Elder Jensen.., that is...Oh my heavens it was so
crazy to see him.
And then, I felt a
hand on my arm and turned and...ALMENDRA? I doubt any of you remember, but I
had taught Almendra in my very first area, she is vegetarian, slender, a
massage and yoga princess, and absolutely fantastic, and she had left--out of
nowhere--for the North of Chile, and had called us dramatically to say that
"I cant explain why, but I have to go..." and so I had thought I
would never see her again. And do you know what? I had found out that not only
had she returned, she got baptized, and in her testimony said "thank you,
to hermana monroe, for listening…" But I got to SEE Her!! And between
almost tears and a tight squeeze and holding her close I could see--she is
finally happy. ooh. What joy. And to top THAT off…I doubt any of you remember
Violetta from my first area? She was a very less active that we worked SO much
with...well her daughter? Camila? Who we had taught and my companion always said
that she would serve a mission. CAMILA GOT BAPTIZED. And....she wants to serve
a mission.
Wow. The seeds we
plant. It´s absolutely awe inspiring when we realize that we are just a little
tiny piece of the puzzle in the grand plan of God.
mmhmn. Anyways. Back
to my new sector. I am in the CLOUDS ("estoy en los nubes"). The
barrio is fit to bursting (for Chilean standards, at least...) so that
yesterday they had to open the curtains in the back (music to my ears!!) and we
had a fully functioning three hour church hours complete with little children
dressed in tiny suits and ties and dresses running in every direction.
AND for the icing in
the cake, we went to ward council, and the bishop sat everyone down, while a
returned missionary that just got back from Bolivia rolled out his new vision
for how the ward council was going to function, based on missionary
work--stating that each organization was going to place the goal of how many
people they were going to baptized...
"Relief society?
How many sisters do you think you can baptize this year?"
"No..but..relief
society can´t..it´s not even fully functioning--how are we going to?"
"I promise you
that it can. Missionary work is the lifeblood of the church. You will find and
maybe baptize the sisters you need. What about 6? How does six sound?"
And so it went, with
every organization. With the result of a goal of forty baptisms for the WARD,
no for the missionaries, and the goal that every single organization
reactivated five members.
It was bold,
ambitious, and it was powerful. He called it the Perry plan, showed video
clips, and renovated how our ward functions.
I have seen many
moments of courage, but I don’t think I have ever seen a man with such humble
conviction and faith as our bishop...as he looked every member in the eye and
testified "So maybe it wont work perfectly this year...maybe we wont have
forty baptisms this year. But NOTHING is going to happen if we don’t set the
goal. The best time to start is now." I might have almost cried. But I
looked at the quote that I have in my scriptures that, summarized, goes
something like this "every dispensation begins with a vision. We must have
a vision. We must move into the realm of the miracles. We must go to the edge
so that God blesses us with the miracles that we need."
And finally, to end
the day yesterday, we went to a very faithful couple, Miguel and Veronica, who
after ten years of investigating are still waiting for a divorce and to get
married, but who have been assisting each Sunday. We talked to them about
the power of goals. Set the goal for the marriage on the 13th of May, and
kneeled together and Miguel pleaded for God´s strength to make it possible.
I testify that the
power of goals, made with the Lord, is real.
Make a goal. Make it
with the Lord, and he will help us make it a reality.
I love you all so
much--I am happy, so very very content.
Love you all!!!
Hermana Monroe
No comments:
Post a Comment