Feb 18, 2014
Dear Friends and Family,
What a week. Here are just a few word teasers to give you a
taste of the week, and hopefully I´ll have enough time to explain each of them.
Volcano’s. Ashes. Blackouts. Chilean Barbeques. M RUSSEL
BALLARD. Separation. Russian, French, Dutch and Canadian Tourists. Purranque
reunion. Transfers Free Pass.
The big news really is that Elder Ballard came yesterday and
spoke to the mission--for the first time all of the mission Chile Osorno was in
one meeting (okay, with those from the south in the meeting via satellite poor
things..).
As my president said, with tears streaming down his face at
the end of the meeting: "This has been a day that will change all of your
lives. Because it has undoubtedly changed mine." The mission hasn’t received
the visit of an apostle in years, and yesterday we had elder Rasband, elder Ballard
and the area seventy. The spirit that was in the room simply testified, and I
feel like my vision has expanded to the magnitude of what we are really doing.
There were two points that settled in my soul that I need to change. Elder
Ballard spoke about the importance of internalizing the doctrine…that we have
to "pay the price to bring the doctrine from our head into our hearts, and
then we can teach with our own words, with the guidance of the spirit, and
without fear." Elder Ballard taught with such utter conviction. He looked
at us all with his piercing blue eyes and elevated us. Took us to his level. He
told us about his mission--he served in England, and he said that he arrived
and his first day was taken by the mission president to a stand for a street
meeting in Hyde Park. "And my president drew out my name, and hoisted me
up with these firm words: `Elder Ballard--Preach the Gospel.' Preach the
gospel? What in the world was I going to teach? And so there, in Hyde Park, I
decided to teach about baptism. And so I said everything I knew about baptism.
In a minute and a half. And that night, I kneeled in my room and begged in
prayer the forgiveness of the Lord for being so unprepared to be his representative
and teach his doctrine." This story has resonated in my being and I can’t
get it out my head, along with one other question that Elder Ballard asked.
"How much faith do we really have? If we have faith the size of a mustard
seed we can move mountains. So how much faith do you all have?"
Oh man…I cant even explain everything. I can’t even say one
tenth of all the Elder Ballard said, but here are the big ideas: Preach my
gospel? PURE GOLD. Read it. study it. know it. live it.
Talk with everyone; teach with conviction and this spirit.
To sum it up, we all stood and sang la Luz de la Verdad in
the end (in English it´s hark all ye nations?) and as we sang the last verse I couldn’t
get out the words as I processed what it says, "We have been called by God
to serve, to every nation and land we will go. We are going to teach with faith
and power the name of the Lord." We were all in the city of Puerto Varas
(one of most beautiful cities that I have ever seen) and so after the
conference, we went and sang, all of the missionaries, in the Plaza, as
Tourists from diverse countries swarmed around, and then Hermana Rivas and I
contacted (oh the stories I wish I could tell you from lost tourists that don’t
speak Spanish and are just so happy to find someone who speaks English and Spanish
ahaha)
I feel spiritually elevated. Stretched, and elevated. Like I
have seen another plane of how to do missionary work, and in seeing this plane,
I have been stretched and realized how much I am lacking. But I am going to
keep trying to arrive there. I am so far from where I should be as a person, as
a missionary…but I am going to keep striving.
Ah, one other thing that happened this week. For a long time
now I haven’t understood why we focus so much on the family in the church--.how
to protect the family, how to help your family etc. etc. Especially as I have
taught investigator’s, less actives and others that are the only members in
their family and I would always inwardly squirm when all of the church meeting
focused on the family.
But just on Sunday, Hermana Rivas and I were headed to see a
family on investigators that we have (that had a date to get married) and as we
got closer we first saw Veronica in the street, and then we heard the bang on
the door, a hurriedly packed bad and faces streaked with tears--we had arrived
just as Veronica and her children were leaving. "mom and dad are separating"
the three year old Katy told us decidedly, peeking from behind her mom. We had
arrived in the moment of the big fight, and we walked with Veronica, holding
her bags filled with odds and ends as Miguel hovered behind, following her and
begging her to leave their daughter.
I have never seen such real pain--the absolute suffering of
a family that is being torn apart. The moment that they took the bus, breaking
the complete silence. Miguel running back to their now empty house an I looked
at my companion and we both cried. THIS is the suffering that the Lord is
trying to help us avoid.
That experience, coupled with Elder Ballard, helped me
elevate my vision.
I just hope I can live up to it.
I love you all!!!! Press forward in the cause!



No comments:
Post a Comment