April 14,14
Dear Family and
Friends,
It´s
already cold. I am talking about misty, muggy mornings when my Mexican
companion is convinced she is going to die. But I have rediscovered that is
"bien rico" (rico means delicious, but you can use it for anything
that feels good--a shower, a conversation, the sun, anything that makes
you happy) to have a fire in the house to heat us up. I think it is because I
actually know how to chop wood and make fires now. A year ago, the house always
filled with smoke and having a fire was always a decision between dying of cold
or dying of smoke exposure. Now, with a year in chile, I know how to
successfully start a fire and so we are just fine--and there is something
absolutely delicious about snacking on a blanket right by the Combustion (the
closed off fire place thing).. (well, its delicious if I don't think about the
damage that I am causing ecologically.)
Anyways,
sorry for my random fire rant. This week was fabulous!! And to top it off,
yesterday was a day simply miracle filled. I don't know how to cover it all so
I think I am going to send you some smidgeons of stories that we had:
Yesterday,
we knocked a door (contacting a reference) and a woman answered the door and
didn't even let us introduce ourselves before inviting us in. There was a whole
family there!! And they were eating lunch and asked us if we had already had
lunch, if we wanted some, were SO kind and we were terribly put off balance
because we had no idea who they were, but its seemed they recognized us. We
told them that we would come back in an hour when they finished lunch. Family...we
were SO confused. we came back, and of course, they were recent converts that
had a son in the mission and had just moved here from Concepcion. Of course.
But seriously, I was SO confused.
A
couple of days ago, we contacted a woman who told us that her next door
neighbors are members. this woman, Carmen, is a spunky seventy year old woman
whose husband is ridiculously strict, so she couldn't receive us in her home.
"the boss likes his lunch at twelve in point, not five minutes before or
after!" she informed us. But we told her "oh! That´s fine! but maybe
we can get together at your neighbor´s house, and have something called a
family night all together? how does that sound? Sunday at seven?
okay. okay. bye!·"
We
were going to talk with her next door neighbors, but before we could, we got a
call from them "um, sisters? sorry, our next door neighbor is telling us that
we have a family night with you and her..is that true?" WOOPS. haha
awkward a bit. We might have invited ourselves over. But they are pure gems and
we ended up having our family night. Carmen didn't understand much "God is
everything for me. everything. and my leg is better because of him. and I pray
every night. every night!!" but she baked a cake for the family night. Gem
points.
The
biggest miracle moment was yesterday. We had make an appointment with a contact
in the street, and we were tempted to not go because there were other people we
had to visit, but we decided to go anyway, knocked on the door, and they
invited us in (with a "oh shoot! the mormons! I told them they could come!
That´s right, shoot I forgot. Oh hon, you know them? oh, YOU are mormon
too?") and we had the incredibly beautiful moment of teaching a FAMILY.
Carolina is a member when she was young, but stopped assisting a long time ago.
Her husband is evangelico, and her daughter Catholic. It was--seriously--the
perfect lesson, and all of the family that isnt member accepted a baptismal
date. Hermana Vederrain and I left, said a prayer of thanks there in the street,
and cried, jumped, and hugged. Its going to be a roller coaster to see if they
actually get there, to baptism, but it was such a beautiful moment, that in the
mission you work,cry and pay for in sweat and rain and tears.
We
also went on intercambios!! I went to a little tiny town named Rio Negro, and
that is one of my photos, with a recent convert from there.
Love
you all and Happy Pascua!!! Everyone, watch this video. It is incredibly
incredibly beautiful. https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/he-is-risen?lang=eng
remember
why we celebrate this beautiful season!!
Love Hermana Monroe


No comments:
Post a Comment