Thursday, April 3, 2014

Deep Breath




March 31, 2014

Dear Family,

What a week. So I am not going to lie, last week was well..one speed bump after another (I am talking about two weeks ago, when I went to Purranque and had all of that "locura" (craziness, it means)). Well, that week I had my rough moment with Fernanda, Lisette decided that even though God gave her her answer she didn't want it, and then to add a cherry on top of it all, our Mamita who gives us food bailed out on us on Saturday, so I made my own lunch, (a carrot cake..but a salted, cheesy, usually is incredible chilean creation) that turned out SO terribly that I food poisoned myself and spent all of saturday and sunday throwing up. HA. I was too busy laughing at the fact that I gave myself food poisoning to be embarrassed that I threw up in the house of an investigador (I was in the bathroom for a LONG time while Hermana Rivas told me later that she talked as fast and as loud as she could about all the types of food one finds in Chile). As a write this, I am actually chuckling to myself because it was a bit ridiculous. 
The reason I tell you all this is because this week has been fantastic. We had transfers (that is NOT the reason I am happy, I was sad to see her go and I am going to miss her guts.). 

But all missionaries know that once in a blue moon one is blessed with a companion that is a best friend that I never knew I was missing--a soul friend. And hermana Belderrain is from mexico city (already points in her favor) and relaxed but fast pace, efficient, loves good teavana tea and is a nutrition major and studied for two years to be Chef. This sister missionary is in heaven (ME! I am in heaven!) We are already best friends, and today we went a bought frozen yoghurt and brought in our bags granola to eat with it. (YUM.) Oh. and we might have gone trying on dresses in the chilean version of Nordstroms. We are having a lot of fun.

Apart from the fun..Rahue Alto is doing well. We are still teaching up a storm. One of my favorite parts about this sector is that we are teaching very educated people who really have a good understanding of the depth of our message. We are teaching one ex-atheist, Mijael, who has a baptism date and who I love to teach, because he looks at us intently and asks good questions ("but, how is going to church going to help me get an answer?") and his slightly crazy member (slightly crazy AND slightly member hahaha) sister and I love it when the two participate with their ideas and questions. ("But why isn't the chapel open on week days? Because if it is a place where we can receive revelation why can't we go more than one time a week?")

The biggest miracle this week for me was with Carla. Carla is an investigator that is elegant, always in her big fluffy robe, teaches english, and is HIP. This week we taught her about the atonement, using Alma 7: 11-12, with her name in place of "his people" (read that with your own name. its powerful.) and at the end of the lesson she said "to understand this makes me grateful. it makes me want to do what he wants of me, lead a better life and follow his example." That understanding and desired application was a moment so beautiful for us as missionaries. And when we went back to teach the rest of the plan of salvation, at the end we asked "Carla, what are you willing to do to be able to return and live with God?" 
And in her soft, elegant, voice, she said "I want to get baptized, get married, and live the mormon life, I want to have an eternal family." She was cuddled up in her big leather chair, and one could feel that she was having a moment of decision. I ALMOST Cried but didn't. (thank heavens I have been cutting back on the tears lately.) 
I love the mission. So much. 
Of course, there are still a lot of steps for Carla (first of all, she needs to go to church more. and have friends in the church. But the desires are there.)

And it is going to be a great week! (and shivery. Its officially Autumn!)
love you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment