June 23, 2014
Dear Family and Friends,
I
hope you know--because you SHOULD know--obviously because it is one of the most
exciting things that has happened since Chileans discovered that they could eat
guacamole and tomatoes with hot dogs and call them completos...that CHILE won
their first two games in the MUNDIAL and have made it to the next round.
Seriously…Chile shuts down completely for the games and I love it.
#livininchileprobs What makes this super exciting is that the President gave us
permission to see the Chilean games which makes life much easier.
Because lets
be honest, almost NO one lets us in when Chile is playing. And when we have
seen the games its easier to talk to everyone. (for example: oh can you believe
the goal that Valdivia scored? yikes those guys from Holland are gigantic..etc...jejeje).
You should all watch the mundial, because I promise you it is actually SO SO SO
much fun. And intense! Seriously, I am total soccer fan now. They are playing
Friday, and you should honestly all watch the game and root them on!! The
national cheer goes "CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!!"
ahhemm...anyways,
back to the gospel...jeje woops. this week we had cambios, and Hermana Howell
left (sad!!) that was a bummer...but I have my new comp, Hermana Lethco. She is
from California, twenty two, and very calm and very sweet.
This
week we had two big moments that are resonating in my soul. Do you remember
Alba? I hope you do. This week we went to visit her with my new companion, and
for the first time since I met her she began to cry. She said "sometimes
it´s just that I...loose my desire to keep fighting. And I know that God knows
why he does everything, and I have faith, but it´s just...so hard.." and
little tears went slipping down the side of her face. It was so heart breaking,
and so incredible to see her faith at the same time.
On
top of that, on Saturday night we were walking in the dark night, in the rain,
we a man went walking past us. I have no idea why, but I stopped him, calling
after him, and asked if we could help him. He looked at us, blearly eyed and
obviously a bit drunk, and told us that "I need help, but not the
help you can give me...". We kept talking to him, accompanied him to his
house, said a prayer with him in the street and told him we were going to come
back the next day. His name is Victor.
We
went back yesterday, Sunday, and found a surprisingly well-educated man,
slightly embarrassed Victor who lives with his sister who welcomes us in and
told us their story--a life so bright ruined by alcohol. The family of his
sister, who has welcomed him in, but are being destroyed by his
alcoholism.
And
I have just been thinking so much about the lies and misery that are the end
results of Satan´s version of fun and freedom. And the contrast that it is with
the self-discipline and light of the gospel.
And
Cata!! Is progressing!!
I
love you all!!
hermana
Monroe
VIVA
CHILE


No comments:
Post a Comment