Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Women Rock. The Worth (NOT pain) of Women






Sept 30, 2013

Dear Family,

Well well well, who would have EVER known that my passion about the worth of women would come splashing into my mission? But it did (because of a brilliant idea of Hermana Mahterian in how we could use a fun activity to use the program of assignments--a help to reactivate many less actives with assignments.) and so this week, on Friday, we had our night "El valor de Mujeres" which means the worth of woman. (Also, valor means courage and strength and worth. cool, right?)

Friday was a heck of a day just absolutely crazy trying to get everything organized, but this is how it finally went down. We started in the beginning with a talk from the RS president about the worth of woman and the scripture in Proverbs 31, about how a virtuous woman has a worth far above rubies, and then we had three different workshops from different sisters, one about how to dress modestly, feminine and fashionable, another about the role of mothers and the development of children (which was given by Monica, since she is a director of a huge kindergarten) and another names "Secrets of the Kitchen" where the sister taught how to make SUSHI. (It was delicious, and I successfully made my first sushi roll!!!) After those three classes, we had a presentation from a sister who is a psychologist and she talked about self esteem and then finally, a interactive discussion with a sister who is SUPER fun (her name is Irma, and she is a riot of a woman who is eight years older than her husband and PROUD of it cause she rocks it…) who talked about our worth and about how we can find that through the gospel.

And then we ate more food than could possibly be good for us (with quotes all around the table about the worth of women) and used the `photo booth and props that hermana mahterian made in our free time-oh-wait-during-breakfast-and-every-night. 
It was phenomenal, and you all would have loved it. I wish you could have all been shipped down her to be there.
 But here is one of the funniest parts. The word Valor (worth) and Dolor (Pain) are very similar sounding and every time I spoke about the activity with the sisters, they always thought I was talking about the pain of women. Hermana Irma said "hermana, I mean...I just don’t understand why you want to have a program about that...what is there to talk about? Oh el VALOR?? Oh!! Okay!!" 

Also, this week, the wedding bells are ringing, because Fernanda, in the midst of drinking her maté (a non-coffee drink, since she is now living the word of wisdom) looked at us and said "I have a surprise for you..." and……
Her and Fabian are GETTING MARRIED!! Hallelujah!!! On the 31st of October. But the most beautiful part is that in-between a huge smile on my face and holding back a giggle of joy, I looked in her eyes and promised her that the blessings would come. That I had seen a change in her and that it was only the beginning. In that moment, in came the spirit and testified in a way that could not be denied, and Fernanda, for the very first time in three months, cried. She told us that she has felt and seen a difference in her life, a greater hope, a greater light, and that she tells Fabian that these are blessings, and she wants to continue. She is literally the most incredible woman that I have ever taught...she already has read everything she can get her hands on, and at this point the gospel doctrine teacher told us that she needs to go to the other class because she can TEACH the class now. Seriously though. Whew. She is so excited to get baptized, to go to the temple, and to have a calling. Her and Fabian are just so special. 

Gladys is doing well, but she wants to wait ONE more week to be baptized. And she has not smoked for NINE days now!! What a gem.


Favorite quote of the week:
Hma Mahterian: "well, could I just have some cold water?"
Mamita Janette looks up surprised and VERY concerned: "But, hermana! It´s not good to have cold water with a meal. It´s very very bad for you. Do you want some soda? or tea?"

I just want you to know that I love you. If there is one thing I have learned is that this is NOT my work. It is the Lords, and he is preparing people and helping in every moment. I love you all!!!

Hermana monroe


No comments:

Post a Comment