Oct 7, 2013
Dear Family and Friends,
Well, greetings from the cutest little quaint
town that is Purranque, Chile, where it is finally the beginning of summer, the
trees are starting to bloom and I left for the first time in MONTHS without
thick tights (and had to come back an hour later to put them back on..)
This week was the baptism of Gladys, and every
moment it was a reminder of what a miracle it had been. Little recap on the
story of Gladys: Gladys is a gem, bubbly, loves to make us food, fiercely loyal
to her family, cuts hair, is about 50 years old. And rocks her glittery makeup.
Her daughter has been a member for ten years, and is serving her mission in
Columbia. In the words of the sister who gave a talk in her baptism: "this
is a testimony of the faith of your daughter, because six months ago, you did
not even want to see a mormon. You were SO angry with all of us!"
Simply, the Lord changed her heart. He put us
here in the right time and at the right place. Gladys was SO nervous on
Saturday, because she had finally decided WHO was going to baptize her (that
had been a huge issue) and quit smoking (one of the reasons she has been investigating
for 14 years)
But you know what happened? She entered the
font, shaking from nerves, and excited (after two baptisms)....Radiant.
Glowing. She grasped us two, held us close and said "thank you. Thank you
for bringing me here."
I squeezed her tight and asked "How did
you feel??"
With tears in her eyes and a smile smudged
with her wet makeup she said "I thought I was just going to get wet. But it
was so beautiful that I wanted to cry." She stopped, looked at us and just
radiated in the moment.
In her words the next day in her confirmation:
"It was the best thing I have ever done."
And I don’t think for one moment that this was
anything other than a blessing for her daughter serving her mission. My
favorite part is that she showed us a picture of her daughter when she found
out her mom was going to get baptized--crying and crying tears of joy. And in
exactly one year, when her daughter gets home, they are going to go to the
temple together and get sealed, along with Gladys’s husband who passed away two
years ago. Gladys,
The branch president and his wife (we are chile-ing it up...with the signs that they always make for photos here hahaha)
But for the not-so-great news...we got a call on
Sunday and Hermana Mahterian is leaving me. NOoooooo!!! we are going to
have to drown our sorrows in the sahnenuess ice cream here. I am going to miss
her guts..but I still have my papitas (who, by the way, made hermana mahterian
and I PIZZAS today as a surprise because hermana Mahterian was sick and in bed.
They are the most christlike people in the planet. I am straight up convinced
that they are perfect. because they are.)
Love you all!!
Hermana
Monroe
oh, and we went to the beach!!! I was so excited, I might
have cried to see the ocean for the first time in months. Above photo is with the sister AP's





No comments:
Post a Comment