Monday, September 16, 2013

Antillanca



Aug 26, 2013

Dear Family and friends

So remember how everyone has wood burning stoves? Well, here’s the rundown: One of our recent converts, Carlos, his shed and all of his backyard completely burned in an out of control fire.. Maybe I should explain Carlos. Carlos is about fifty and has Parkinson’s and is a walking miracle (literally). About three months ago he thought his life was over and didn’t even want to dress himself. Right now, he is up every day and every time I see him he has more light. Its in the way his eyes have changed. When the Lord touches our lives, we just cant help but see the beauty in life. In the words of his sister--it´s like he has come back from the dead. His sister, Nora, is well...groovy. She is investigating the church and has a baptismal date, around sixty, spry and loves her her heeled boots, is my inner hippie sister and all about the spiritual healing (and rings on every finger). Anyways, part of their house burned so we all went this week and helped clean out all of their backyard and drag out the ruins. But it brought back memories of when the fires would come through Poway and San Diego and I loved helping others. Since we had members, recent converts, less actives and all helping with the project. In the words of one elder "this is SO fun--I get to destroy a house! Best service project ever!"

But this week has been really incredible with the fathers that we are working with. Elmo and Monica? Do you remember them? If not, thats fine..She is a less active and he is a professor of Philosophy and doesn’t want much to do with it personally but wants his family to have the support? Well, this week we sat down and wrote him a long note about the influence of his decisions on the family, and an invitation to find out for himself. He didn’t say much, and obviously he is not going to say to us "sisters, I want to know more.." but last night, when we went to share with them, he came and sat down with his wife, and didn’t say one thing negative, just listened and then accepted the invitation to read a chapter in the book of Mormon. And my favorite part? His nine year old daughter woke up the whole family super early in the morning get ready to go for church because she remembered that they had promised to go. Elmo didn’t make it this week, but there is a different spirit about him. Progress! Hallelujah!! Love that fam.

There is so much to say, so much to tell, and I really don’t even know how to sufficiently tell all. So many moments. Purranque is truly incredible and I feel like this is one the most ready areas and i feel like I am doing the most visible work of all my mission. But oh!! We went to Antillanca today, the ski resort here and it was like being in Switzerland meets park city in South America...SO beautiful and freezing cold. But the whole time I was just thinking that it was like Christmas in July..or August..or whatever. But NOT in December in any account. 

I´ll talk to you all in a week!!

Hermana Monroe







No comments:

Post a Comment