May 25, 2013
Dear
Family and Friends,
This
was a week of Miracles. I feel like I say that every week, but this was the Olympics
of miracles…because after working as hard as Michael Phelps (okay, maybe that´s
a lie, but I feel like we are eating as much as Michael Phelps. Why does
everyone want to give us food on the SAME days), we finished the week with a
mountain of miracles. Many small, but some that are GOLD.
What
is really exciting is THIS. We have two baptisms scheduled for this Friday!!
AGHHHH!!! And I am on top of the world. One is Elma, the other is Sofia. I don’t
know that they´ll both happen, because we have much to work with the two. So
PLEASE keep them both in your prayers. And us as well, because we want to make
sure they are both prepared for this step.
As
follows, the miracles a la Hermana Elma...
First,
we went to teach her Monday night, and as we walked up to her house
We
went to pick her up on Sunday morning for church, but we were a tad bit late
(which, believe it or not, is NOT usual for us. Yes, all you Monroes reading
this can gasp in amazement..) But when we arrived, no one answered the door. We
waited, and then, bummed, we headed off to church, and lo and behold who had
left for church on her own because we hadn´t arrived on time...Elma. And at
church, the talks were ALL about her major doubts and in relief society she
started to cry and said she knew she had "felt the holy spirit" and
had received an answer about her baptism. Also, a funny story about a lesson
with her...we arrived at her house and we could see that someone was at the
table and so we thought maybe she had visitors. Dang. But hermana Centurion
said "noo hermanas, she is probably just reading her book of mormon!"
and i told her "yep! And all of our families in our ward didn’t answer
their phone last night because they were having family home evening!" and
we laughed and thought I was soo clever and then.....we entered, and she had
been reading the book of mormon and taking notes. AH! To top that off, she
invited us to have Once (its like dinner...kind of.) with her because she
wanted us to talk to and meet her neighbor! Because she wanted her neighbor to
learn more!
But
the Miracle a la Sofia…
This
is what I just can´t believe. Sofia is fourteen years old, and is the only non-member
of her family. Her family was baptized four months ago, and they are the ones
that feed us every day (with three course meals and a cook and food that is
sinfully delicious) but because she wanted to be rebellious, she decided not to
be baptized. Honestly, in this sector, I have prayed about this Chica more than
anything else, written her a billion notes with scriptures, fasted for her....
The president told me that The Lord wants her to join her family, and we needed
to help make it happen...But we had a lesson with her family, and she was
acting like she wasn’t listening, and didn’t care, but at the end, I felt the
spirit prompt me that we needed to invite her to be baptized. So we did, I
invited her, and I promise you that the Lord guided us to say what needed to be
said, to ask what needed to be asked, and she ACCEPTED. Oh. Such a miracle. But
what really is a testament to me is that I felt like I was a just a little tiny
part of a grand grand work to bring this family into the gospel. I got to talk
to the missionaries who have worked with this family, and their prayers that
Sofia would join her family, the prayers of the family, EVERYONE, has
contributed to this miracle. I was only the mouthpiece. And I feel so humbled
that we had the opportunity to contribute, even if just a little.
But
Really, it is such a treat to be part of this work.
And
for a little funny bit...in the words of Hermana Reese, sometimes having two
investigators is like having more than one boyfriend. You don´t want to tell
one that you have a cita with the other! We passed by Elma and she insisted on
giving us Once, but right after that we had already promised to have once with
Violetta and so we had to have TWO. So we sacrificed ourselves and ate all of
the cake that Elma had specially prepared for us because it is the favorite of
Hermana Reese, and then ran off to eat with Violetta. Yep. We are really self-sacrificing,
us missionaries hahahaha.
But
I am off to finish preparing for our ward activity tonight! I love you all, and
hope all is well!
p.s...KATIE!
I got your letter! And the letters from the YW! THANK YOU! Katie, there is a
letter currently in the mail for you!
All
my love,
Hermana
Monroe
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment