Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Faith Like the Chileans




May 5, 2013

Dear Family.. (and friends!)

This email is about two big things that I have learned from Chileans, that maybe we all could learn....faith and Once. 

But really, this letter is about the faith of Chileans. It´s AMAZING. I am in this tiny little branch of about 45 members in the middle of Osorno, and their faith and dedication to this work is really incredible. These 45 members have all the responsibilities of a fully functioning ward. For example, the family Raiz. Hermano Agon Raiz is the first counselor, and his wife, Carmen Gloria, is the president of the relief society, and they not only accompany the missionaries, but visit all the widows, organize all the home teachings and visiting teachings, serve everyone, visit people they don’t need to and teach so many classes and attend temple prep for the ward temple trip and all the branch comes together to clean our huge chapel every month. And its not just this family, it´s every family in this branch. When was the last time we REALLY sacrificed for what we believe? All I can say is that I love these people with all my heart. They know what it means to be a saint. Other example..we visit this old ANCIENT widow named Maria Leticia who has a nanny that is only ten years younger than her, and I swear Maria Leticia is something out of harry potter..probably Molly Wesley´s grandmother. she wears five layers of clothes and  The two of them boss each other around, while Maria Leticia tells her nana that she needs to listen to the missionaries ¨leave your iron Rosita! YA PO! It´s time to listen to the missionaries!" and then they talk to us at the SAME time and we all try to keep a straight face...anyways..Maria Leticia is too old to attend church but she was telling us that its okay. because she is "Mormon to her bones" and knows that God is with her and drinks her ¨mormon coffee" (ecco) every morning and has a Chile osorno mission sticker in her window. I love this people. But heavens, maybe they should love the missionaries less because one day this week we got fed in EVERY single home that we entered. Cookies, and jugo and desserts and tea and meals up the ante! 

But the other thing...this week I really learned about the power of gratitude. I came home one day and I was a bit discouraged, but I got on my knees and started thanking heavenly father for all the blessings I have in my life...and once I started I couldn´t stop. All the sudden, my heart filled with love and I realized just how much I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life. i mean, we have the GOSPEL. WHAT A BLESSING!

I love you all! 

Oh, fun fact...it is an AWESOME time to be from Argentina because the Pope is from Argentina too....and I have heard about him probably every day since my companion is from Argentina too..HA! Latino pride..

Hermana Monroe







No comments:

Post a Comment