March
23, 2013
Dear
Friends and Family!!
Well,
I still love Chile with a passion. And I still love being a missionary. it´s
the best in the world. This week here were my firsts: first door approaches,
first time being told I am a worker for the Devil and many other things.
And
here is the spanish blunder of the week: I was trying to tell them that I love
to surf (surfear) and instead I said ¨I love to suffer!¨You should have seen
their faces...priceless.
So
really the craziest thing is my mamita. We have a mamita where she makes us
food every day for lunch (because that´s like the only meal we eat haha) and at
first we had a regular mamita from the ward. But our mamita is now Hermana
Pillar and her and her family are recent converts (like, a month ago) but
between you and I, they are very very well off. And so we go and have lunch
with their family, but I should really say that our Mamita is her cook,
christy. Because we are having lunch on CHINA with COURSES and hand made,
gourmet food. And so I am eating this prime rib and inwardly thanking mom for
all of the times we had ever had an etiquette lesson. Now, we all know that
with having mama bev cook for us for the past 19 years, we know what good food
is. and this food is AMAZING. my favorite this week was the handmade gnocchi.
and every time for dessert (served to us by christie at the table--new course
of course) is fruit and creme and heavens...every day it is simply scrumptious.
I am pretty sure currently I am serving like the cushiest mission. (I can
see Mel shaking her head right now) But it´s odd, because it´s this
contradictary mix of poverty and wealth. and at times it´s hard to wrap my head
around. Oh! Mel! EVERYONE here wears nylons (they call them ¨panties¨) and it´s
not a mission mandated thing...it´s cultural. But it´s also kind of chilly so i
don´t mind. but i wore my first every pair of hoes and grimaced a little. but
chile is the best so it´s okay!
alright...on
to the gospel!! We teach a lot--all of the people are very kind and will listen
if i promise on the doorstep to ONLY share a scripture from the BIble. so one
half of chile is catholic, and the rest are angelican or Less actives. there
are SOO many mormons, but all of them are inactive!!! Seriously--we had ten
lessons this week with menos activas...all different menos activas. I am
excited to see if we can get them to come back. but, for the most exciting
news, we are teaching this beautiful family, karen and dennis. and the first time
we had a real lesson, last saturday, and Dennis was going to give the closing
prayer, and so hma centurion taught him how, and then he started saying ¨dear
heavenly father, thank you for..´ and we thought he was practicing and then all
of the sudden we realize that he is praying, while looking at us and making eye
contact. So hma centurion suddenly bows her head and folds her arm, and then I
see her and realize he is praying and not just practicing, so i fold my arms,
and then hma reese did. It´s a bit hard to explain, but it was hilarious. We
are also teaching a mom and daughter and a TON of abuelitos and
abuelitas.
Funny
story for the week: We were super hungry one day and found a seduella tree
(white little plums I think) in this park and I, with skirt and boots and
all--climbed the tree and threw down a ton. So yeah..I am still working on the
whole quiet dignity thing.
But
we had the most incredible moment--we were in the lesson and this couple--kind
and ancient-- were telling us how much they loved us and that we needed to stop
believing in the book of mormon so we didn´t burn in hell forever--and I had
the opportunity to bear my testimony about Joseph Smith and I just KNEW. I
could feel the spirit testifying to me--and I hope them! that this is the
restored gospel. they didn´t accept us, but that´s okay! This is just the most
ultimate and best scavenger hunt every to find those prepared.
Love
you all!
Hermana
Monroe
p.s....please
don´t hesitate to email! I get to print them off and read them later so please
go ahead and tell me. I mean after all, I have mish powers so tell me
your problems so I can pray for you hahahha Kimberly.monroe@myldsmail.net
p.s...I
can only send one email home so I can´t respond individually to emails!
pps...If
you were to send a package only send it us postal service! and dear elder
delivers here every tuesday. But you don´t need to send packages all I really
want is to hear how you all are!
besos!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment