Friday, March 8, 2013

CHILE, Here I Come!!!


Mar 8, 3013
Family and Friends!!

I am leavinggg!!!!!!!! Happy day!! In exactly three days I will already have left the MTC. I leave on Monday and FOUR in the morning (good thing I am a morning person! oh wait....) and will arrive in Chile on Tuesday at one in the afternoon. AHHHGHGH! I am so excited. and a bit nervous. but mainly so so so excited.

Well, first of all, we had the most incredible miracle happen this week. I honestly am just so grateful--so remember katterinna Ayala? The sister we taught in TRC? and remember the promise that hermana alvarez made that she would be alright? 
So, little background on katterinna Ayala, she has been sick for a long long time (i don't know how long exactly) and it hit a point where she was bed ridden (spg?) and couldn't move for three months, while no doctor knew what was wrong. so she is in the states to visit doctors and see if they could figure out what is wrong. but here is the miracle: they went to the doctor last week to get her results back, and all of her tests came back PERFECT. her blood, her bones, everything. hermana ayala said her mother just cried and cried. And i know that this is a fulfillment of that little promise that hermana Alvarez felt inspired to make. AHH the gospel is so true!! and can I just tell you--being a missionary is just as awesome as i thought it would be (and i am not even in the field yet!!)

Alright...so for some stories for y'all (I have obviously been with hermana Mcknight and her Texas accent a little too much) My spanish is still definitely needing some improvement:
Exhibit A: I was talking to hermana Mcknight about how she is leaving so soon and how sad that was that she would be in the MTC for a bit without us, and (we were attempting to speak spanish, too) so very sincerely, I grabbed her arm and looked in her eyes and I was TRYING to say "sister mcknight, i am going to miss you"...and it came out "voy a casarse"...which in rough translation means I am going to marry you. awkward. We laughed and laughed and laughed. Better here than in the field, right?
Another funny story: okay I really really really hope that a gift of the spirit is the gift to remember names, because for the life of me I am awful at that. I got to be a missionary host (you just show them around the MTC and stuff) on Wednesday, and I was walking to get in line and I see hermana moffatt with a new sister, so I waved. All the sudden, the new sister she is hosting screams (LOUDLY) and runs straight at me and gives me the hugest hug and starts telling me how excited she is and "oh sister monroe you are one of two people that I know here, I am SO excited to see you!" Problem--I have absolutely NO idea who this sister is… but of course, I just hug her back and tell her how good it is to see her, so hermana moffatt, being a sweet kind person, says "hey, sister monroe, you can host her!" and I tell her thanks, and all of the sudden I am hosting a person who I have no idea who it is but who apparently knows me...yikes. So I am asking her about how everything went (but I have no idea about how much of her life I am really supposed to know..) and it is not until TEN minutes later, when she is introducing me to someone else as "my cousin's cousin" that I FINALLY make the connection. It's Lexi, the knapp's cousin!! Inspiration!! I was SO relieved to finally realize that I DID know her… but it was really funny and I really really really hope I am better with names once I get on the field.

This week I have been thinking a lot about the purpose of faith--and if any of you have a moment, read the talk about character and faith by elder scott. It is AMAZING. He says in there 'we become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become." isn't that the most empowering principle?!  I have just had so many "ah ha!" moments this week--for example, we heard a devotional (recorded) from elder bednar called the characteristics of Christ, and i realized how much being more like Christ is being able to turn outwards of ourselves. I mean, how much of my life has been solely about myself? What I want, my goals, my desires? When Christ, every moment of every day, was focusing about other people. i was so humbled, and so excited for this opportunity to learn to focus on other people. This opportunity is the biggest blessing of my life. so come what may on this mission--I am so excited!

love you all! and a major shout out to the BEST people in the whole entire world--sarah and sammy--your package was SO sweet!!! I almost started crying and read your notes over and over and over again. And thank you also to sabrina, rachel, especially aunt Jan,  and Mom (mom--you're awesome!) and all those who wrote! Love you!
 and CONGRATS MICHAEL!

Love
hermana monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment