
It´s officially now the middle of winter so we are sitting here in the middle of an incredibly busy city that...will COMPLETELY shut down every time there is fog. Because the fog gets SO thick that hermana Howell and I can´t even see ten feet in front of us and the cars in the road look like little tiny flashlight and rush by. And every time this happens we clutch each other and Hermana Howell reminds me that I say the same thing: "I feel like I am in Lehi´s dream!"
And happy fourth of July! We celebrated with German panackes (oh the irony..) and our peruvian hermanas commented: "what is this...syrup stuff?" and "why is it so sweet?" "this egg cake, you eat it for breakfast?" They also decided that for Peru´s independence day on the 28th they are going to make us ginea pig, since it is "SO delicious" and "as common as rice" (okay, so VERY common)
This week we had the opportunity to have members help us in a ton of our lessons. Drumroll for Elma Coronado, our investigator that was baptized a month ago, since she invited her next door neightbor and best friend to take the lessons. Imagine all of us, two gringan sisters and these two sweet women, all seated around a table and sharing Once, as Elma (who is already reading the book of mormon cover to cover and is in Jacob right now) shared her testimony of the church. I felt prompted to ask her some specific questions, and Norma began to sob as we bore our testimony, promising that everything she has been looking for is here, and as she prayed out loud for the first time. We returned for the next appointment and she began to explain EVERYTHING she had read in 3 nephi 11: "and then, they heard the voice of the Lord for the third time, and that is just like how in sometimes our life..."
It was incredible. And the spirit was SO strong.
So of course we were high on life and the spirit and stoked and were walking down the street and passing Hardy´s house. Side note: Hardy is very short, very muscular and a security gaurd/bouncer that was baptized when he was 18 and then promptly forgot everything about the church. But he is one special guy that will talk to us about seriously anything and is one of the few people that I still have trouble understanding. He´s like a character from Harry Potter- Horace Slughorn but not quite as clever. But he also has a heart of gold, a soft spot for gringan sister missionaries, and has a terribly delicious habit of giving us chocolate every time we visit him...each time, as he remembers more and more about the church, he gives us a larger quantity of chocolate. So we were walking past his house and I told hermana Howell that all we needed was for Hardy to give us more chocolate. At that PRECISE moment, his door opened and out popped his head: "Chicuias!! How´s it going? How´s your chocolate? Want more?" And out came ANOTHER chocoalte bar for us to share.
But apart from all that, I am doing well. Hermana Howell is doing super well, and I love being her trainer, even though I am absolutely sure I am learning more from her than I am teaching. This work is real. I absolutely love it.
All my love!
Hermana Monroe
No comments:
Post a Comment