Sunday, February 10, 2013

First Week in the MTC

Hello Family (and friends too)!!!

I am so excited to be writing you!! I really don't mind not having a phone but I have wanted to answer all these questions and tell you all these things and I am now furiously typing because I have exactly 27 minutes to type everything I want to say.
First of all, I LOVE being a missionary. It's amazing. Even though the cafeteria is EXACTLY like the cannon center at BYU. The spirit is so strong here and I am learning so much about what I can do to not only strengthen my testimony but also to become a better teacher. There is nothing like learning the doctines of the gospel when an investigador (who is actually a teacher but pretending to be an investigador) asks you a question like "how does the atonement work?" and you realize you have NO idea how to answer it (sorry I am kind of obsessed with capitilizing words)

okay. so the winners of the week...

Greg (or Hermana Monroe as I now know him)...somehow managed to be one of my district teachers, and my district LOVES him. seriously. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "hermano Monroe said this..." or "you seriously have the best brother ever.." or "you're so lucky to have a brother like that.." He has helped so many people in my district especially spiritually that I couldn't be more proud to call him my brother. and my roommates think he is cute haha (but we are locking our hearts, I promise!)
And don't worry parentals, i am definitely containing any sass towards him and treating him all respectfully and stuff (or at least am trying) since he is now my teacher.
Funny story about that though. Greg, er, hermano monroe has declared that if we are late to class we have to do a door approach with him pretending to be the person. but the other day HE was late so the elders insisted that he do a door approach too. So he went outside and they let me be the one to answer the door. I opened it just a crack and let him say in spanish "we represent the church of jesus christ of latter day saints.." and I asked "Los mormones?!" and when he said Si, I slammed the door. and then couldn't contain my laugh and peeked outside to make sure he wasn't angry with me...but then he knocked on the door again, and after I opened it said "Hi I am from the mormon church and am looking for another wife. Are you interested?" I then, of course, started laughing even harder and shut the door again. hAHA my district was basically on the ground laughing. But I still promise I am being really respectful. Oh! Mel, you'll laugh at this though. Just the other day, Greg stopped in the middle of class and just looked at me and asked...(in spanish) "little sister, why are you wearing the ugliest shirt that I have ever seen?" Too bad me and all my friends thought it was cute..and good thing I am used to him not always liking my clothes.

YIKES I only have 15 minutes!

Dad, you would be so proud of me because I don't think I have ever had a more regular sleeping schedule in my life. I go to bed PROMPLTY at 10:30 and get up at 6:30. it's awesome. and can I say, let's be honest, the MTC is like EFY meets the Dorms meets girls camp (in the residence hall especially.) it's like a BYU reunion out here! I have seen Jessie Pitcher, Avery Mirahara, Elise Crosby and Kate Sheffield are in my district, I see Mary Moody sometimes, Megan Harrison all the time, Sammy's old roomate Emily, and I see Jill like EVERY DAY which is the best thing ever. Oh, and Marly? I see Kyle Batson EVERYWHERE. Tell him to stop stalking me or something.

But besides how much of a whirlwind and everything that this is, I just want to bear my testimony and tell you how incredible it is to be able to represent the Lord. Everytime I look down and see that name tag I know that I am exactly where I need to be doing exactly what I should be. The peace that this gospel brings is tremendous. and even from just the first few practice lessons, which started out awful and have become so much better and I have learned so much, I have experienced what a wonderful work this is to be doing.

heavens I haven't even told you about my companion! Her name is Hermana Alvarez and she is from Burley, Idaho and is 21 and is also going to Osorno. She is absolutely awesome. We both are working so hard and are focused on our goals and learning spanish as well as we can. I'll try and send some pictures!

THANK you a million to everyone who sent me a letter!! That would be Katie Holiday, Miss Sarah Ballard, Sabrina, Sis Jensen, Anne (from Jerusalem? THANK YOU darling!), Krisitin and the BEST letter ever from Charity. and mom! That package was awesome and meant so much to me!! Thank you for both and for the letter! 
And really, the most sincere thank you to Charity for an awesome 7 page letter that had me smiling and laughing and feeling like you were right by my side.

i love you all with all my heart!!

Love,
Hermana Monroe

p.s...with Valentine's day coming up and everything, I want you to know that I make an AWESOME valentine. so you are all free to send me letters and love and packages.

pps..Anne, where do I send me letters to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment