Good Morning America!!!
Greetings
from Valdivia!
Valdivia
is the biggest, prettiest city that I have seen in Chile so far. It is a small
but bustling city that is nestled in between rolling hills. It´s like Rosarita
meets Spokane Washington. We are in the middle of a bowl of mountains that are
covered with verdant green and there are two sprawling rivers that cut through
Valdivia, and we are in the residential area that is on the edge of the river.
I think Hermana Espinosa is tired of hearing me say, about five times a day and
every time that I see the river "OH!! Que linda!!! me encanta el
agua!!"
But
do you know what they have as the taste of America here?
This
morning, I asked Hermana Espinosa "Hermana, what do you like to do on
Pday?"
"Oh
hermana, I like to do to Messdonnna."
"sorry,
what?"
"Messdonna!"
"OH!
McDonalds!!" heavens! What in the world is MCDONALDS doing here?!
Seriously?
But
hermana Espinosa is 29 years old, from Buenos Aires (her accent is already
catching) and one of the skinniest woman that I have ever seen. She has a quiet
but very strong character, and at times she reminds me a bit of Sheralie.
To
be honest, when I got here in Valdivia it was a bit like I got poured over with
a bucket of cold water--Reality shot. Hermana Espinosa sat me down and told me:
"Valdivia is NOT in a good state. There has not been a baptism in the zone
for five months, and not a baptism in our ward for a year now. Everyone is
worried...president, president of the stake, everyone. Right now, the sector is
progressing. But we have to work hard. The problem is that we are never in our
sector because we spend about three weeks of six on exchanges."
whew.
So
basically I am excited, cause it is going to be a good challenge. I have
already cried, worked hard, and found a lot of comfort in the scriptures.
With
Hermana Espinosa and I, it´s taken a bit of time to adjust to each other--two
very different missionaries, with 2 different missions, experiences, 2
different styles of teaching and 2 very different personalities. But I already
adore her.
But
one thing that I know without doubt, and I watched her, almost open mouthed
gaping--because she is a master teacher. She teaches with so much clarity that
the investigators can’t help but understand. I am already learning so much from
her and I can tell that it will be a turning point in my mission, for so many
reasons.
Love
you all!!!
Hermana Monroe


No comments:
Post a Comment